Successful completion of secondary level education is important for employment in a modern economy and building the foundation for an expanded and diversified tertiary level sub-sector.
The main features of Secondary Education are:
- Type of school: Secondary School, High School
- Length of program: 4 – 7 years
- Entrance age: 11 - 13
- Certificate/diploma: Caribbean Examinations Council Secondary
Education; Certificate (CXC-SEC); General Certificate of Education Ordinary Level
Secondary Education is often further divided into:
- Lower Secondary (usually Forms 1 – 3)
- Upper Secondary (usually Forms 4 – 5)
- In some territories, the first two years of tertiary level education are offered in the Sixth Form. At these schools the terminal qualification is the General Certificate of Education Advanced (A) Level or the Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination (CAPE) certificate.
- Other secondary schools offer technical and vocational education. The terminal qualification here is usually City & Guilds of London Institute, London Chamber of Commerce, Royal Society of Arts